Getting Ready for the POE
For the last few years, the Officers and Executive Board members have had a desire to sponsor a Pipe Organ Encounter (POE). The Chapter sponsored a POE at Stetson about ten years ago. “What is a Pipe Organ Encounter?” you might ask.
A Pipe Organ Encounter:
- Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization. It introduces participants to the world of the pipe organ.
- Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Students are admitted to POEs on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Students should be aged 13-18, be interested in the pipe organ, and have piano or organ proficiency ranging from intermediate to advanced.
- Provides an opportunity for students to have individual and group instruction in the basic rudiments of pipe organ technique and service playing.
- Provides a general overview of organ literature, history, pipe organ construction and design, improvisation and other related topics.
- Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
The Board and Officers of CFAGO has agreed to sponsor a PIPE ORGAN ENCOUNTER July 22-27, 2018 at Stetson University.
This is an “all hands on deck” project for our chapter and it will be a fun and rewarding experience for all of us.
The POE is administered by an Executive Committee which is being formed now. Those who have already agreed are:
- Tim Smith, Director
- Boyd Jones,Faculty Coordinator
- Randall Krum,Publicity Coordinator
- Scott Ziegler,Secretary/Registrar
- Juliet Lushetsky,Treasurer
Only a few positions are still available, so speak up quickly!
- A Facilities Coordinator
- A Funding Coordinator
- A Services Coordinator
The Pipe Organ Encounter Handbook gives complete information. The most recent edition is available for download or for online reading from AGO National Headquarters at this link.
There are plenty of other things to do as well, so if you aren’t in a position to take a leadership role, there’s a task for you. E-mail or phone (or anticipate a call from) the Dean, firstname.lastname@example.org or (407) 647-3413
Return to Main Page